Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Crew Daze - Home Game #1 (2-1 Win vs Philadelphia Union)

Driving down to Columbus on Saturday morning, I was quite giddy to finally be heading to the first home game of the season. Tom was my season ticket partner for the day and he convinced Robin (don't think she need much convincing) to go down with him from Cleveland where we could play some games (Tom's WOBBLE game this time around) before and after the game.

More on that part of the night on my gaming blog (eventually).

About 5:15 Tom and I started our 10 minute walk from 17th Street to the Crew Stadium. Being a season ticket holder this year, we collected the season ticket gifts (Crew Blanket) and proceeded to the gate to find our seats. There was also a Schedule magnet giveaway for the match and Tom bought me a beer, so I have my Higuain cup as well. After the match, I purchased my Crew scarf, rounding out my haul for the night. And now I know that the blanket looks just as good backwards as forwards.


The Game: Overall, the Crew looked better than the Union and did deserve the win. The Union seemed to have a few more chances than the Crew to score, but were unable to take advantage. I counted 4 chances in the first have that the Union squandered - I think they were all off target. 

The Defense: Two weeks ago, I could not tell if Columbus's back line were all that good, or if DC United was just not that good. This week, those reservations were confirmed. Williams (RB) continued to look good and most of the attacks once again seemed to come up the right side again. Parkhurst and Gonzalez looked shaky and less confident while Francis (LB) had some trouble containing the runs on the Union right side. The Union consistently got through and behind the Crew defense. They also consistently and frustratingly kept trying to carry the ball out of the zone and gave the ball away too many times, provoking more attacks by the Union.

One other note: Higuain and Tchani were both very poor, giving the ball away constantly. The cold more than anything more than likely kept the Union from taking advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment