Tuesday, February 19, 2013

CSM Kickstarter Review Part 1 - Initial thoughts

The first thing I want to state is that tastes differ. While one person may love something, others may have an opposite opinion with equal and justified reasons. I have been buying and painting miniatures for over 20 years. The miniatures I paint are used in my AD&D, T&T, and the other myriad of games that I play. I am in no sense an expert in the field or an accomplished painter, but I have just as much love for this crazy hobby of ours as anyone else.

Matt reached out to me last week when we were discussing via email a few things regarding the Kickstarter for the Demons and Devils by Center Stage Miniatures. We had talked late in 2012 about the local convention here in Toledo (BashCon) and how it is good one to attend for many reasons including a very affordable dealer hall for retailers and a large attendance for a smaller con. I mentioned to him that the convention was coming up and asked if he was still planning on attending. While he told me he as not going to make it in as retailer, he was planning on coming in on Sunday to check out the con with a look forward to 2014.

The offer then came to bring me a good portion of my pledge rewards in return for an unbiased review of the miniatures that he had on hand. I graciously accepted and after a few more emails regarding what my add-ons were, we were all set. I met Matt after running my AD&D game on Sunday morning, comically sending texts and looking around when we were 10 feet away from each other.


We talked a bit as I tried to keep an eye on my kids in a crowded convention hall. Needless to say, I was very excited for this opportunity and thanked him again for offering this type of review. I think this speaks volumes in regards to the quality of the product he is working so hard to get out to everyone that supported this effort.

I have had a chance to dig in a bit and get a good look at the miniatures in the box. My first impression can be summed up with the following two words: HOLY CRAP! 

I am most amazed with the larger pieces (Geryon, Amon) and the Demons (Type II, III, IV, and V). There are a few of the miniatures that I have some concerns with, but these concerns are very small in number (3 items to be exact). I want to reserve any additional detail and judgement on those until I have a chance to get them on bases and do some side by side compares with other miniatures.


I will make every effort to follow-up with new blog posts every few days. Until then, below are a few lists for you to check out.

*     *     *     *     *

The following is a list of what I received from the $75 Pledge Level:
  • Glacial (Ice) Devil
  • Horned Devil
  • Lemures
  • Manes
  • Bearded Devils
  • Baphomet, Demon Lord
  • Molydeus
  • Asmodeus' Daughter
  • Demon Type II
  • Demon Type III
  • Demon Type IV
  • Demon Type V
  • Erinyes
  • Barbed Devils (Lesser Horned Devils) (missing the fire hand)
  • Marrow (Bone) Devil
  • Hellhounds
  • High Priestess of Darkness
  • Ruttering Kin
The miniatures from the standard Pledge Level that I have not received are:
  • Succubus
  • Imp
  • Quasit
  • Demon Type I
  • Demon Type VI
  • Pit Fiend
  • Horned Devil II
  • Spined Devils
  • Night Hag
The Extras/Add Ons that I received are:
  • Amon & Winter Wolf
  • Geryon
The Extras/Add Ons that I have not received are:
  • Moloch
  • Graz'zt
  • Demon Type I (2nd)
  • Demon Type III (2nd)

3 comments:

  1. Tom Grimshaw posted on February 19, 2013 at 5:03 AM

    I look forward to hearing more about these Jerry as from what I can see, they do look like something that I'd like to pick up in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enos Kline posted on February 19, 2013 at 7:22 PM

    hmm, your list seems a bit off to me. you are missing both horned devils, and the ruttering kin should be part of the base pledge. i look forward to your next post (pics!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted on February 19, 2013 at 7:47 PM

    Enos,

    Yup - you are correct - I had to go back and double check the page - the High Priestess and the Ruttering Kin were both included in the $75 pledge...

    ReplyDelete