Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My New Love...courtesy of the BBC

Egads!

Anyone  that knows me well enough knows that I have a love for British television, courtesy of my wonderful  mother. As I was telling a co-worker about one of my favorites (Spaced with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost), he told me about 'Garth Marenghi's Darkplace'. It stars two of the actors from IT Crowd and also has a few cameos of Father Ted's writer, Graham Linehan.


What sets this one apart is that it is a recent show that is pretending to be a show that was originally created back in the 80's, complete with very poor special effects, terrible acting, bad dubbing, and crazy story lines. 


The fictional horror author named Garth Marenghi introduces each episode with talking about how great he is, how great the show was, and how the BBC had to pull it from the original broadcast schedule back then because it was too edgy and raw for the audiences.


The show is also complete with behind the scenes types of interludes during the show with the fictional actors talking about the show.


There are only 6 episodes and I guess they are sometimes shown on SyFy or Adult Swim...but luckily they are all available on YouTube. Hopefully, a region 1 DVD release is in the future.

You can start here with the first episode...

No comments:

Post a Comment