Sunday, February 26, 2012

RIP My Friend - Gary Jakubowski (Toledo)



My co-worker and friend Gary Jakubowski passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on the night of Wednesday, February 22. I guess this will just start to become a reality as I get older, but Gary was just too darn young for this to happen, only 48. His obituary can be found here.

Gary introduced me to almost all of the musical artists that I currently listen to including Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Tom Waits, The Pogues, and Johnny Cash. He collected vinyl and cd's the way I collect comics and board games.

He was also a huge sports fan, supporting his Boston Red Sox, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Detroit Red Wings, and Green Bay Packers with extreme loyalty. He was also a huge supporter of University of Toledo athletics. You could count on Gary being at every woman's basketball game as well as his new passion thanks to another co-worker (Kristen), the woman's soccer team.

Gary was also branching out into board games, joining us for our lunch time sessions at work, and inviting Ed and me to his night and afternoon game days playing with his friends.

Many other people would have known him simply as the 'Poolman'. His football and basketball pools were legendary and his attention to detail without equal. I know he had long weekends scheduled in March to watch the Madness of the NCAA tournament from the very first tip to the end.

I wish I would not have missed that last game day he invited me to on New Years Day.

I wish I would have said something more than just 'see you tomorrow' when he left work on Wednesday afternoon.

I cannot imagine there will be a day that passes where I will not be reminded of the memory of a great friend and even greater person that this world has lost.

God Bless you my friend - you will be missed more than you could have ever imagined or felt comfortable with.

I do hope that you are in a better place and now looking out for the ones that so cared about you. Say hey to Charles Schultz for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment