Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

While visiting my parents over the weekend, I was able to catch most of the Bogart classic movie 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre'. I was amazed at how good a 63 year old black and white movie looked in HD - I don't know if there is some sort of conversion that is done - but it looked great.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre


The story revolves around 3 guys that pool some money together to buy some prospecting gear, they go into the mountains, and they start panning for gold. As they start getting more and more gold, Bogart's character starts to fail his sanity saves and convinces himself that his partners want to steal away his share.

I could not help but think as I watched how this could really be a good RPG scenario - minus the drudgery of weeks spent panning for gold. One member of the group goes to town to get more supplies, prompting the attention of another prospector who follows him back to his camp. They are attacked by bandits, run across some locals in need of help with a drowning boy, and then turn on each other altogether as Bogart's character completes his spiral into insanity by shooting one of his partners.

A few times in the movie I turned to my mom to say 'he failed his save', but I knew I would have only confused her. This is also the movie with the famous line from the Mexican Bandit: "I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"

No comments:

Post a Comment